A Time of Shifting Sexual Identity (for birth professionals)
Audience: Birth Professionals
Description: All parents expect sexual adjustments during the postpartum period, however few report feeling prepared for the massive changes that occur. The birth experience may also have a psychological impact that shows up in a couple’s sexual relationship. Both birth and postpartum doulas are uniquely situated to fill the educational gap and provide postpartum support as parents work through these changes.
Objectives: By the end of this session, participants will be able to:
- Explain the subtle messages communicated to women about their bodies and sexual functioning during typical labor and birth experiences in North America.
- Restate the possible emotional and sexual impact on husbands and male partners of viewing medical procedures and childbirth on their wife or female partner.
- List birth procedures that affect sexual functioning and those that do not.
- Explain the sexual concerns of both parents during the first year postpartum.
- List strategies within the doula’s scope of practice that can assist with effective sexual adjustment.